The Handbook on Unaccompanied and Separated Children provides operational guidance for child protection practitioners and other actors involved in prevention and response to family separation in emergencies.
The Handbook includes:
- Summary Guidance
- Overview of the Foundational Elements of UASC programs in section one.
- Detailed guidance for working with Unaccompanied and Separated Children in section two.
Topics included in the Handbook on Unaccompanied and Separated Children:
- International Legal Framework and mandates related to UASC
- Characterizing family separation in emergencies
- Mitigating risk of separation: Prevention and Preparedness
- Assessment of separation and risk of separation
- The basics: programme planning to UASC
- Case Management and information management for UASC
- Identification of UASC
- Alternative Care of Unaccompanied and Separated Children
- Family Tracing and Verification
- Reunification and Reintegration